- Smile sincerely and use the person’s name – Project a warm energy that draws people towards you.
- Encourage the person to speak – Ask questions about the person’s passions, work and interest.
- Give honest and sincere appreciation – Show the person how much you genuinely understand and respect them.
- Make the person feel important – Express how much you value their intelligence, effort and character.
- Be vulnerable, genuine and real – Demonstrate your humanity by admitting to your mistakes and failures.
- Don’t criticize, condemn or complain – Instead be very personable, friendly, supportive and upbeat.