- Do your research. Find out ahead of time who will be at the event. Research them on Google or LinkedIn and know who you want to connect with.
- Ask simple questions. To get the conversation started, just ask: “May I join you” or “What business are you in”?
- Ditch the pitch. Forget the sales pitch. Stay informal and focusing on building relationships. People are apt to do business or give referrals to people they enjoy, not sales people.
- Flash a smile. Don’t forget to flash those pearly whites. You will put others at ease and come across as friendly and approachable.
- Take notes. Made a good connection? Take a moment to jot down a note on their business card for a more specific follow up.
- Share the wealth. Be willing to share your contacts and referrals. Do this in sincerity, without necessarily expecting something in return.
- Follow up. Don’t forget to follow up. If you have had an awesome exchange, ask how you can continue the conversation. Follow up through email or social media within 48 hours of the event.